I was just thinking about how busy my life’s been of late and how one day can seemingly run into the next without notice. It’s hard to plan anything fun when times are so busy, but there is joy to be had in the small things, if you are willing to live in the moment. So here is a list to help us along, in no particular order and not all of them are food, I swear:
- Butter with anything: butter and peanut butter are a magical combination, if the toast or English muffin are warm when you spread them on. Butter and jelly are a delicious combo, too, especially with a cup of milky black tea. Let’s not forget the wonderful concoction that happens to pancakes when you spread on some butter and sprinkle with powdered sugar, thanks Grandma!
- That first sip of coffee in the morning and the last sip of tea at night. Ahhh.
- A kiss. Especially that sweet one on the forehead by your beau or a quick kiss on the cheek from your Mom.
- A hair tousle by Dad, I miss those. They were more like noogies though, thanks Dad 🙂
- That first bite of pizza, you know the one. The one that burns the roof of your mouth. The one that you can’t wait the thirty seconds it would take to cool down? Yeah that one.
- Baby animal pics (that’s what the internet was made for right?)
- A quick chat with a friend, even by text or email can brighten a day.
- The laughter of a child, such a musical sound. Laughter without guile, worry or strain rarely happens as adults. Enjoy it when you hear it.
- The scent of rain, especially on a warm summer night.
- That hour of quiet before anyone else wakes up in the morning or at night when everyone is asleep……serene.
- A roaring, crackling fire, on a cold night in. I wish I had a fireplace!
- A stranger opening a door for you always induces a smile.
- A single cup of tea and a chapter or two in a book before bed: priceless.
- That first swirl of snowflakes about your shoulders each year.
- The texture of your favorite soft sweater against your skin.
Life can be fleeting at times, so take a breath and enjoy those small moments that matter. ~Renee
“Life is made up of small pleasures. Happiness is made up of those tiny successes. The big ones come too infrequently. And if you don’t collect all these tiny successes, the big ones don’t really mean anything.” ~Norman Lear